Bubblegum Finds: El Catrin



When: Monday - Friday 11:30 am - 4 pm; 5 pm -11 pm
               Friday: 11:30 am - 4 pm; 5 pm - 1 am
               Saturday: 10:30 - 3 pm; 4 pm - 1 am
               Sunday: 10:30  3 pm; 4 - 11 pm
Where: Distillery District, 55 Mill Street Toronto
Why: If you've ever lived in Toronto, you've heard of El Catrin. Amazing drinks, amazing food, the most amazing atmosphere.


(loving the rustic feel)


(super busy! loving the huge crowds of people)


(being the girly-girl I am, this is a beautiful place for an engagement party.
look at the gorgeous lights!)


(Loving the cute cups)


(Adorable menu!)


(That's right, fresh made, table side guacamole)


(Honestly this guacamole is to die for!)


(Mini Burritos - Vegetariano $7
Sautéed corn, zucchini, tomato, mushroom, tofu, 
black bean purée, spinach and flour tortilla)


(Recommended by the waitress, Pescado en Mole Blanco $16
Grilled Mahi Mahi, rubbed in chiles and xoconostle, black squid rice, 
grilled pineapple, mole blanco


(of course churros for dessert!) 


As you can see from my scores below, I didn't particularly like the food much. I am going to start with the positives. The atmosphere is without words, it is lively and amazing. The fire beside us was so warm I thought my face was melting which to be honest was great on such a cold day. The service is second to none, they had fresh guacamole, what else needs to be said? The prices are decent but honestly the plates are not for sharing, it isn't very big. The food is a modern take on Mexican food. I love my traditional burritos, traditional tacos and dishes. Their take is interesting and I can honestly say I've never had food even close to what I had that day but it just wasn't what I was expecting and what I wanted. I will still recommend everyone to try it at least once and decide for yourself whether this restaurant is for your palette or not. 

Mini Review:
Food: 2/5
Service: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Atmosphere: 5/5
Overall: 15/20



Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs